Home Forward Planning

Forward Planning

by admin

The section is headed by an Assistant Director and is responsible for provision of the Landuse Policy which includes structure planning and local planning. It sets out planning standards to guide development in the city. All planning decisions are required to accord the provisions of the Development Plan (Structure Plan) unless material considerations indicate otherwise.

 A.   Land Use planning (LUP)

This involves distribution of land uses. It determines which part of land of the city are to be used  for Housing, industry, or other urban uses and which parts are to be retained as open spaces.

Forward planning section also prepares land use plans for the City.  The section regularly receives enquiries regarding land for development. Such enquiries do not constitute an approval for allocation of such land to those applying for it. There is no guarantee that enquiries will be accepted as there are many factors affecting the eventual choice of allocated sites. 


  •  Identification of the Vacant land for planning.
  •  Establish the suitability of the use of land through carrying out of a reconnaissance survey of the area, the terrain of the land with consideration of existing developments if any and the surrounding areas.
  • Concept plans in form of Sketches of the proposed plans are prepared in consultation with the key stakeholders.  The final plans are presented to the Plans, Works, Development and Real Estate (PWDRE) Committee and thereafter they are presented to Full Council for a final decision (Approval/Refusal)
  • The layout plans are then sent for numbering to either the Council Surveyor or the Surveyor General depending on the area that been planned.
  • The numbered plans are then forwarded to the Department of Legal Services for allocation/ recommendation for allocation.

 B.    Urban Renewal

This concept entails the re-assessment, and re-planning of already developed but run down areas of the City as a result of Changes in the development cycle. The process involves:

  • Road widening/narrowing  and Re-alignment
  • Clearance of slums, improvement and rehabilitation,
  • Recommendation and advocacy for rehabilitation of buildings to conform with modern standards
  • Re-gazetting already zoned sites to provide adequate commercial and industrial areas
  • Gazetting historical and cultural sites for preservation as   monumental sites.

Urban renewal is an effective tool in maintaining a lively, liveable and sound environment of the city.

It’s also worth to note that for renewal to be successful there must be a strong and good understanding with the private sector since most of the property in the prime areas is privately owned by either individuals or companies.


Maintaining a vibrant, economically attractive city for both investment and doing business.

 C.    Road Side Trading Sites

Temporal trading is one of concepts adopted as part of planning of the city in the late 2000s. Its a concept towards addressing the need for creation of employment for urban dwellers. The sites are planned especially on reserved land e.g. wide road reserves that may not be in use for specified period of time. Activities carried out on these temporal sites include, Car washing, Movable Canteens and containers, Telephone Booths, Money transfer Booths, Car selling yards dealing in second hand vehicles and  first foods  Caravans.

The approval of using these sites is a short term one renewable every year and can be terminated at any time when the site is needed for the use it was gazetted for. e.g. with the expansion of Burma and Chilimbulu roads, all the occupants have been requested to relocate to pave way for the construction  and expansion of  these  roads. 


  • Provides employment to both skilled and non-skilled labour.
  • Former eyesore sites (e.g. dumping sites) are now been put to good use thus improving of the city’s outlook.
  • Services are brought close to the areas were there needed most.

Application forms to site Nthemba or Phone Booth

 D.   Advertising

Under the Town and Country Planning Act, Cap 283 of the Laws of Zambia, the Council is mandated to administer control of Outdoor Advertising. “advertisement” means any word, letter, model, sign, placard, board, notice, device or representation, whether illuminated or not, in the nature of and employed wholly or in part for the purpose of advertisement or announcement. It also includes any hoarding or similar structure used or adapted for use for the display of advertisement.

 Obtaining Advertisement Consent

i)   Anyone wishing to display an advert should apply for consent through a Council Approved Outdoor Advertising Agent. (See list below)

ii)   The Agent in turn submits complete application forms and receipts of payments on behalf of their client.

iii)   The application forms are lodged in with the Director of City Planning for assessment and processing.

iv)   The applicant is then informed of the outcome (Approval/Refusal) and mandated to comply with whatever conditions may be given.

v)     Every permission is granted for a fixed period specified in the notice of approval.

Display of an advertisement without the consent of the Council is deemed illegal and the person/s responsible maybe liable for prosecution.
Standard form for Advertising and Banners

 E.    Regularisation of illegal settlements

This is a planning concept which is yet to be fully adopted to respond to the need for re-organising illegally squatted on land that was developed without a guide or plan as prescribed in the laws governing the development process.

This arise as a result of realisation of the fact that  the illegally invaded on areas do accommodate a lot of people in our city and  instead of demolitions some of the illegal settlements on land which was formerly un surveyed can be adopted with minimum required changes to suit a planned settlement.   

The process of legalisation will entail planning, or reorganisation, to provide for the needed services that the occupants omitted when moving on the unplanned land.

 The legalised developments will be surveyed and legal ownerships will be issued. It’s also worth noting that, the process of regularisation is expensive and requires a lot of time. For this to be achieved the illegal developers may have to bare the whole cost of the planning process through payment of penalty fees.

 The penalty fees as determined by the Planning Authority can be paid in full or in instalments.

 F.     Subdivision/ Consolidation of land held on Title

  •  Subdivision of land involves demarcating of land held on Title into two or more parcels (plots).
  •  Consolidation on the other hand involves the merging of two or more parcels of land into one.

Minimum Standards for Subdividing/ Consolidating land

  • Small holdings e.g. Makeni, Chamba Valley, Lusaka East Minimum subdivision allowed is 1 hectare (10,000 square meters.)
  • High Cost-low density areas is 900 square meters
  • The minimum size for Medium cost areas, commercial and light industrial areas are discretionary.
  • These Application for permission under the Town and Country Planning Act and does not absolve the applicant from obtaining any other consent or to refuse the application.   

 Requirements for consolidation/ subdivision of land

  • Eight (8) copies of the site plans for the proposed subdivision/ consolidation
  • Site plan
  • Certified copy of Title deed
  • Completed form for subdivision of land (obtained form city planning registry in Room 503 or download here below)  

Once plans are submitted with the required information, they are scrutinised by the Town Planners who recommend to either approve with conditions to the Plans, Works, Development Real Estate Committee and thereafter the recommendations are presented to the Full Council for a final decision (Approval/ Refusal)

  • The layout plans are then sent for numbering to either the Council Surveyor or the Surveyor General depending on the area.
  • The numbered plans are then given to the owners so that they can engage a Registered Surveyor within one year from the date of approval to demarcate the area and the official layout plans are updated based on the subdivision/ consolidation.

Subdivision Application Forms


 G.   Plot Extension and Plot infill

  • The Council does from time to time receive applications for extension of plot boundaries. All plot extensions must be approved by the Planning Authority or such extensions are deemed illegal and so are the developments carried out on them.

plot extension forms

 Plot Infill refers to the creation of a plot within a built up area where such space is big enough to accommodate the creation and its intended use. Infill plots are created as part of community redevelopment or growth management.
infill application forms